Post-Crisis Moving – Safety Tips to Prepare for Your Summer Move
COVID-19 and the novel coronavirus has impacted nearly every aspect of our lives. Social distancing and stay-at-home orders have taken a toll on the moving industry, from people not wanting to move, to moving companies altering their safety protocols. Coakley Brother Moving has made the difficult decision to only accept moving dates AFTER Memorial Day. But with the summer months right around the corner, moving season is sure to still pick up. Here are some safety tips to consider while planning for your post-crisis move this summer.
- Contact your movers way in advance – the more time you have to plan, the easier it will be to prepare for your move. Make a plan with your moving company to select the best date, and be in touch with them about how you will all implement social distancing on moving day.
- Clean as you go – while you’re packing, be sure to keep things clean and sanitized. Wipe down counters, disinfect items, and wash your hands often so as not to transmit anything onto your packed boxes.
- Buy new packing supplies – a pandemic is not the time to be reusing grocery store boxes. Get new boxes, tape, and anything else you may need. Try and get it all in one go, or order offline, to avoid needing to go out more than once.
- Finish packing a day or two before movers arrive – experts say that coronavirus can live on cardboard for up to 24 hours. If you finish packing 24 hours before movers come, you can limit the risk of accidental transmission.
- Provide hygiene products for movers – while some moving companies are providing their teams with hand sanitizer and face masks, it is a safe bet to get extra supplies. Having access to a sink with hot water and soap is especially important. Make sure that everybody is washing their hands on moving day.
While coronavirus is teaching us all to be extra cautious and considerate of others, it shouldn’t prohibit those of us who need to move in the coming months. Following these guidelines to make moving day as safe as possible, and contact Coakley Brothers with any further questions you may have at 414-278-7060.