Best Charities to Donate Your Stuff to When You’re Moving
When you’re clearing the clutter and gearing up to move into your new home, donating unused or unwanted items to charity is a great idea for several reasons.
In addition to being one of the top organization tips when you’re moving, giving goods to those in need is always a proactive and positive choice—not to mention the fact that many charitable organizations will even come to your home to pick the items up!
If you’re preparing for an upcoming move and considering charitable donations as part of the process, let’s take a look at the best charities for donating your goods.
The Salvation Army
This organization, in business for over 150 years, is often one of the first charitable organizations that come to mind when you’re thinking of groups that do major good in the world.
- In addition to their many years in business, the Salvation Army operates on a sizable scale—they’re currently located in over 7,000 cities across the U.S.
- Convenience is also key with this group—they will take your donations and either deliver them directly to those in need or sell them for a great, affordable rate at a local Salvation Army store location.
- Salvation Army workers will pick up your donated items from your home, and they take just about anything—which will make it easier for you to be able to donate the bulk of your goods to one place.
- You can even leave the items outside for pickup if that better suits your donating schedule.
Check out https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/ for more information.
- Another highly-recognizable name in the charity world is Goodwill.
- Goodwill also offers home pickup of your donated goods, adding to their convenience, and also accepts most items for donation.
- Goodwill stores can be found in over 2,800 spots across the U.S. and Canada, giving jobs and training to their workers in addition to selling their goods at very low rates for those in need.
Check out https://www.goodwill.org for more information.
AMVETS National Service Foundation
Job training and community outreach programs are just some of what makes this veteran-oriented charity so great.
- AMVETS has been in operation since 1944, serving veterans and their families. Both active-duty and honorably discharged servicemen and women are served by this organization.
- AMVETS offers charity pickup or drop-off options for donations and is currently located in 22 states across the country.
- The main items AMVETS National Service Foundation accepts include:
- Small furniture and appliances
- clothing and accessories
- Check out their website for a full list of items they accept.
Visit https://amvets.org/ for more information.
Wherever you decide to donate your items, be sure to get a receipt of your donation to use as a tax deduction for the upcoming year. Do a good thing for others while organizing your belongings better when you donate your unwanted items!